2010/03/08

The sound of silence

Awaking late in the night to relieve myself I ventured out from the tent into expanse of the central Kyushu plateau
The full moon cast softening glow over the already gentle landscape,
For as far as the eye could see, a blanket of grassy plains strenched out in all directions.
Freezing as it was I was in no hurry to return to the haven of my sleeping bag.
I was entranced by the sheer openness of the sky and 360 degree horizon, but something more the visual beauty was striking a chord deep on my soul.
A sound, what was it? So perceptable yet nothing I put a name on.
Still to cold for insects, to far from roads to be traffic, no electricity, or machinery nearby, not a bird, nor river, not even the slightest breeze.
In the stillness of this surreal vision it dawned on me, it was sound of no sound.
The silence took away my mind, sucking into the vortex of it's vacuum.
A profound peace enveloped the entirity of my being. Better to say I disappeared as drop does into the ocean. In those moments infinity was real and all barriers ceased to be.
I stood for a timeless age before the chattering of my teeth pulled me back into the limits of my mind and body.
Returning to my sanctuary I slumbered in bliss awaking with a freshness of life that nature had given me and for which I still give thanks.

Thank you Aso, thank you silence - thanks for nothing.

Tags:
© 2013 Geoffree's Diary. All rights reserved.
Designed by SpicyTricks